During my fourth year of teaching, at my fourth school in Minneapolis, I suggested to my team that we plan a field trip to the famous corn maze near Canterbury Park. It was a world map that year, I believe, and I thought it would fit in well with the world geography that was being taught in social studies. Somehow, perhaps because it was my idea, it became my responsibility to plan the trip. So I contacted the corn maze, asked about discounts, talked to them about when we would come, got permission slips out, and had the entire 7th grade loaded on a bus and out to Shakopee. But when we arrived, the place was closed! Panic!
Being a corn maze, it wasn't really "closed", just blocked off. Some of the kids had to go to the bathroom, so we explored the area a little (and inadvertently set off an alarm). The owner came rushing over, demanding to know what was going on. One of my teammates, fuming, informed him that we 'had confirmation', and she wanted to know why the place wasn't open. It was at that moment that I realized that I hadn't actually booked the field trip in the official way, that I had just assumed that because they were supposed to be open on that day, we could just show up. Unfortunately, it was cold and they decided not to open - until the two busloads of city kids showed up!
I relive that horrific experience every time I am called upon to organize a field trip for my students - which is way too often for my comfort. I am sure that soon I will have an ulcer that can be directly traced to the most recent trip I am planning - Wolf Ridge in March for my 7th graders.
Who knew there would be so much work?! I have searched for grants and scholarships (one yes, one no, two unknowns so far); we have held three fund raisers and are in the middle of a fourth (anyone want to buy some delicious, organic coffee?); and I have 4 more days until the deadline to let Wolf Ridge know exactly how many students we are bringing - and so far I have only heard from about one-third of them. Quite a few have told me that they can't come, or they don't want to. But what will they do at school for 4 days while the rest of us are gone? Will a teacher have to stay back? Should we just cancel?
When I think back to the day that I got this brilliant idea, I kind of wish that someone would have told me what would happen! I could do without the pain in the lining of my stomach associated with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh my. I hope this all pulls together -- it is a great idea! Bring some of the coffee to MILI because I'll buy some.
That's a pretty funny story about the corn maze ...
Post a Comment