Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Directions, and good listening skills

My mom just left town for a month. She flew to Texas, and she wanted me to pick up her car from the airport so it won't be sitting in a $20 per day spot for all of that time. I arranged to carpool and get dropped off at the airport, she called me this morning to tell me exactly where she parked, and I arrived at the HHH terminal at about 4:30 this afternoon, ready to pick up the vehicle.
By 5:00 I was getting a little frustrated. She had clearly told me to go to Level 3, Purple Q - but in all of my wanderings, the purple section of the parking garage ended at N. I had her keys, and was pushing the panic button indiscriminately, but no honking, no car. I called her - no answer. Left desperate message number one - "Mom, I don't think I understood your directions correctly..."
5:30 - called again, left another message. Had gone to level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - all purple, no car, no panic button reaction, all aisles checked.
5:45 - decided to check Orange. There was a 3Q there. She had said "right by elevator" - checked up and down and all around by elevator - no car.
6:00 - got ahold of mom. "I told you, Orange Q, third level." Hmmmm. "Right by the elevator" - no, still don't see it. "I could see the car from the elevator room." Hmmmmm. I spot a different elevator, far away from the one I had been hovering around. I push the "open hatch" button. A hatch swings open. I have found the car!!!!
I wish I had a podometer on me tonight - I definitely got in my 10,000 steps today!

1 comment:

Jean Doolittle said...

Wow! It makes me think of an old song by the Kingston Trio:

Well, let me tell you of the story of a man named Charley
on a tragic and fateful day.
He put ten cents in his pocket, kissed his wife and family,
went to ride on the M.T.A.

Chorus:
Well, did he ever return? No, he never returned and
his fate is still unknown.
(What a pity! Poor ole Charlie. Shame and scandal.
He may ride forever. Just like Paul Revere.)
He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston.
He's the man who never returned.

Charlie handed in his dime at the Kendall Square Station
and he changed for Jamaica Plain.
When he got there the conductor told him, "One more nickel."
Charlie couldn't get off of that train.
(Chorus)
Now, all night long Charlie rides through the station,
crying, "What will become of me?!!
How can I afford to see my sister in Chelsea
or my cousin in Roxbury?"
(Chorus)
Charlie's wife goes down to the Sculley Square Station
every day at quarter past two,
And through the open window she hands Charlie a sandwich
as the train comes rumblin' through.
(Chorus)
Now, you citizens of Boston, don't you think it's a scandal
how the people have to pay and pay?
Fight the fare increase! Vote for George O'Brien!
Get poor Charlie off the M. T. A.
(Chorus)
He's the man who never returned.
He's the man who never returned.
Ain't you Charlie?