Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Podcasting on the go.

I was immediately excited when podcasting was introduced tonight - although I was kind of scared of the "phone" method of gcast. But the ideas started flying (thanks to my teammates and Karen!), and I now have a really awesome plan.
You may remember (from an earlier blog - I know everyone hangs on my every word) that I am taking my 7th graders on a 5-day field trip to Wolf Ridge. That is coming up very fast - only 11 days away, in fact. Well, I set up the 7th grade web page so that we will be able to do podcasts from Wolf Ridge. There will be 5 groups of students, and initially I thought each group could take one day and do an overview (sort of summary) of their day. But as I think about it more and more (and more), I believe it will be better to have a few kids from each group do their own podcasts every evening.
There are some excellent reasons for podcasting. It will be something that parents can listen to while they are missing their babies, and the (very few) kids who are staying at school can hear what their classmates are doing. It will also give the kids an immediate reason for keeping up their journals (rather than waiting until they get home to try to remember what they did while they were gone). We plan to use the journals as a writing exercise back at school - now we'll have some incentive to keep them current!
I can't wait to see how it goes. Just one more thing to look forward to!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Please let us know where you post these so we can check them out -- Good luck!

You are so creative ... I love how your brain so quickly sees the educational potential of these tools.