Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reader's Digest Version

Even though it's been a long time since I've blogged, I have had many posts composed in my head. Rather than create new blogs for each of my many topics, I'm going to do a condensed, Reader's Digest version of all of those blogs here.
First, back to libraries. I found out over winter break that my favorite library, the one-room, part of a strip mall, cozy place that is located not far from my house, has had its hours cut. It is now open only from 2:00 to 6:00 pm Monday through Thursday, Fridays from 10 - 2, and not at all on the weekends. This was put into place before I could even figure out who to complain to about it, much less do any complaining. So now this little gem is going to have even less patronage because of the inconvenient hours, and before long will become obsolete.
Second, Facebook. I haven't really gotten into it like some of my colleagues have. I feel obligated to check it when I get an email telling me that someone has left me a comment or tagged me in a photo, but that's it. Something that's funny is that lately I have been getting invitations on my school email from parents to check out their Facebook profile. I received one of those from a friend last year, and when I asked her about it she said that it was kind of a mistake. Apparently when you are signing up you can have Facebook send one of those invitations to everyone in your address book (or maybe everyone who you have emailed?) - so her invitation went to people who she worked with, nurses and doctors who had emailed her... she was embarrassed. I've decided not to "friend" any of the parents - even of former students.
Third, I had a weird computer problem over winter break. When I would plug in my charger to the laptop, the light was dim and it wouldn't charge. It would power the computer though - so if it was at 17% when I plugged it in, three days later it would also be at 17%. I googled the problem and found some suggestions, which I tried (resetting some acronyms, etc). They didn't work. Finally I decided to take the computer into some sort of Mac store to have them figure it out. But, luckily, before I had time to look for a place it take it, the computer miraculously fixed itself. So now it charges beautifully.
At the end of Reader's Digest articles there are usually jokes or quotes or words. I'll skip that!

2 comments:

Jean Doolittle said...

Suzanne, I'm so glad we gave you a self-healing computer...they are a rare breed!
Keep supporting that little local library...ask them what you can do to help keep them from going the way of the dodo. I've joined the Friends of the Hennepin County Libraries, even though I don't live in the city. They have great events and I feel like my membership meaning something for the future of libraries.

Karen said...

Oh, come on -- the jokes are my favorite part of Readers Digest!

You seem to be ahead of the game about your Facebook decision considering the email that just came out from the district.

At least the hours at your library are fairly consistent ... the one near me has such random hours I can't remember them. Hope it doesn't get worse!